Green manure - 01. September 2021
Don’t leave your garden behind in winter. Your garden deserves an active break – plant green manure! It is especially after a harvest, on an empty plot, that these mixtures demonstrate their benefits. They prevent soil erosion and stop any nutrients from washing out. Their roots aerate the soil and improve its structure. And at the right time, they can be cut, crushed, and enriched with the new biomass, either by mixing it directly to the ground or by filling it first.
The benefits of green manure:
- Increases organic mass in the earth and improves the soil structure
- Increases the amount of nitrogen in the soil, fertilising it for the next crop
- Reduces nutrient loss and erosion
- Reduces weed growth
- Increases biodiversity in the garden and houses many beneficial insects
Green manure: How to do it
- After harvesting, prepare a new seed bed by slightly opening the ground with a rake, and prepare it finely
- Scatter the green manure mixture, and cover lightly with the rake
- Non-wintering mixtures dry after the first frost. They can be cut, brushed and either mixed directly on the floor or composted. Compost can be spread once ripe.
- Overwintering or bulky mixtures can be cut at any time and treated in the same way as described in the previous point.
Our green manure: https://www.zollinger.bio/fr/search?q=engrais+vert